Will you and your party take action on a coordinated, national, affordable housing plan that includes a commitment to long-term funding in order to address the growing housing needs of Canadians? If elected, what will you personally do to further government action on housing?
Lead into the question with a statement based on one of these facts:
- Adequate, affordable housing is a basic need and right of Canadians
- Housing programs of the last 15 years have been inadequate, short-term and insufficiently funded
- About 150,000 Canadians are homeless
- 1.5 million households can’t afford their housing
- 3.3 million households live in housing in serious need of repairs
- In Toronto an average of 3800 people sleep in emergency shelters each night
- An all-time high of 76,549 households are on the Toronto social housing wait list
- A Housing Plan is an agreement developed by the federal government in consultation with provinces/territories, municipalities, aboriginal communities, non-profit and for profit housing providers and community organizations. It includes: targets and timelines for reduction of homelessness, provision of housing and housing rehabilitation
- It includes accountability measures at least 10-year funding commitments from federal and provincial governments coordination of federal agencies dealing with homelessness/housing
Find out party candidates in your riding. See Elections Canada web-site at: www.elections.ca. To find out your riding enter your postal code at Voter information service. Available from April 13.
E-mail the question to your candidates’ campaign offices. Phone and ask if it was received. Ask the candidate to respond by e-mail or phone. Persist if no response.
Find out from candidates’ offices about election events in the riding. Attend and ask the question. Share the question with others in your faith community, friends and colleagues. Watch candidates’ web-sites for further information on community events.
Watch for on-line town hall meetings to join. Report back.
Please let us know about any responses you receive from candidates. E-mail feedback to: email@example.com. Note: Look for party platform statements related to housing on our web-site at: www.mfateh.ca, under "Useful Materials."